Friday, September 28, 2012
Saturday 9/29 XC Workout
From Coach Jerry:
We'll be at the cell phone field on Saturday, starting at 9:00, so plan to meet for the warmup at 8:15.
Before I get to the workout, there are a few important administrative issues.
1) I still need at least one more guide for a visually impaired runner at the Wilson Bridge half marathon on October 7. The goal pace is modest (6:52s) so this will not be a difficult task for any of you. But it will surely be a rewarding task, and supplying guides is a wonderful service that GRC can provide to the running community. If you can do it, please let me know right away.
2) The MCRRC cross country race that many of you will be running next weekend is on SUNDAY, October 7. My original race calender had it listed as Saturday, so there has been some confusion, for which I apologize. On the topic of the race, there are no comps available, but the entry fee is only $10. Registration is race day only, so show up with a crisp $10 bill and your new GRC gear, ready to run. I'd like to get a volunteer to serve as Captain for the race. There will be some folks who need help with transportation to the race, so the Captain can serve as the conduit for those who can give rides, and those who need them.
3) We cannot use the track at BCC again next week. This leaves us in a bit of a quandry about where to hold practice. AU is available, but because of the lack of lights, we would need to be done with the workout no later than 7:15, which would mean starting by 6:30, and thus meeting for the warmup no later than 6. I recognize this is not convenient for many of you. A second option is to hold practice on the Capital mall, but before we commit to that, I want to make sure that the weather will be conducive, as no one wants a repeat of last year's rainy mall workout. My preference is to use AU, but I don't want to impose that on those of you who can't get out of work early, so I'd like to poll the electorate. If you who have a strong opinion one way or the other, please speak up. A third option is to have some of you do the workout on Tuesday at TC Williams in VA in conjunction with my NOVA practice. We will have at least 4 distinct groups on Wednesday--the men's A and B, and the women's xc and Army 10. If enough of one group want to go on Tuesday at TC Williams (ie a majority of the Army 10 group), that is certainly a viable alternative. Any of you who can't make it Wednesday are welcome to come out on Tuesday and go solo, and I'll hold the watch. Let's try to nail down a plan before Saturday, and we can discuss fallback options.
4) We cannot use the track at BCC on the following Wednesday, October 10. I propose that we move practice to Thursday, Ocotober 11, when the track at BCC will be available. Does this work for most of you?
5) If you're planning to run USATF Club XC Champs, if you have not done so, please make sure you have your USATF membership squared away.
As for the workout Saturday, the men will do a ladder of 9-7-5-3 minutes, with a 3 minute jog on all of it. The women will do 4 x 5 minutes with a 2 minute jog, then take a 5 minute jog after the 4th rep, and do 5 x 45 seconds with a 90 second jog.
If you have any questions, give me a shout. See you Saturday.